QualityMall.org - Complete Product Information
Use the FILE menu on your web browser to print this information or save it to your computer.
Close or minimize this window to continue using QualityMall.org.

Special Education Transition Planning A Self-Advocacy Fact Sheet from the Minnesota Disability Law Center

Authors: Minnesota Disability Law Center


This product is a very clear listing and explanation of what students with disabilities and their families should expect as the student approaches the "transition" portion of their education. This marks a shift in focus to the student preparing for their lives after graduation. According to the Individuals with Disabilities Act (IDEA), transition services need to begin by age 16, but some states require an earlier start. Click on the "Web Links" tab above to view the fact sheet online, the information is presented as succinct answers to the following seven questions:

1. What are transition services?

2. Who decides what services a student gets?

3. When does transition planning start?

4. How does the team decide which services a student needs?

5. What happens when a student turns 18?

6. Can a student in special education get a regular high school diploma?

7. Once a student leaves school, can s/he get services?

Contact Info:
Organization:Minnesota Disability Law Center (MDLC)
Address:430 First Ave. North, Suite 300
Minneapolis, MN 55401
Phone:612-334-5970; Toll Free: 1-800-292-4150; TTY: 612-332-4668

Web Links

Link to document

Home page of the Minnesota Disability Law Center

This information was found at www.qualitymall.org